I think we can all agree that 2008 was a tough year, with a few bright spots. When you really think about it, the cross over into a new year is nothing much, but it’s easy to think of it as a Fresh Start. Following are the highlights of my year, and my hopes for the next.
- I finally voted for a winner in a presidential election.
- I spent far too much time on Jezebel.
- Prop 8 passed, making me truly ashamed of my home state for the first time.
- I gained 10 pounds (likely directly correlated with No 2).
- The first baby was born into my circle of close friends.
- I went to Portland, Oregon three times and discovered Stumptown Coffee.
- I kicked off a budget.
- I started a blog about it so I would have at least some chance of succeeding.
- I spent a few months paying $400+ for gas.
- The economy went to shit.
- Nothing much improved in the Mid East.
- I landed in the hospital in the first week of the year and have not self-injured since.
- I managed to get to NYC to visit friends.
- My boyfriend and I hosted Thanksgiving. For 20.
- I bought a Macbook that I couldn’t afford.
- We planted a garden.
- Our dog was attacked by a raccoon. And a pit bull.
- I voted for HRC in the primaries. And it made me happy.
- The Olympics happened. And I didn’t watch them.
- Heath Ledger, Estelle Getty, Paul Newman, Tim Russert, George Carlin and Yves Saint Laurent died.
In 2009, I hope to….
- Pay off at least $10K in debt.
- Drink more water.
- Drink less alcohol.
- Spend less time online (specifically Jezebel).
- Get a raise.
- Work from home more.
- Start a travel fund with David.
- Exercise more and lose the weight I gained in 2008.
- Go to the farmer’s market more.
- Buy a used bike.
- Sell all of my discarded clothing on eBay.
- Maintain the Penny Plastic blog.
- Read more.
- Draw more.
- Try my best to get to the east coast to visit friends.
- Finally go to San Luis Obispo with David (he’s been asking me to go for years, he went to school there).
- See friends more often.
- Become more skilled in Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Plant a spring garden.
- Try and keep some perspective about things.
Wishing all of you a very happy, warm and safe New Years Eve. See you in 2009.